«Երանի տալը» անգլերեն` I wish I were in Stepanavan Dendropark now. Երանի ես հիմա Ստեփանավանի դենդրոպարկում լինեի: Հետաքրքիր է, որ այս դեպքում բայի անցյալ ժամանակն է գործածվում «հիմա, վաղը, հաջորդ տարի…» ներկա և ապագա ցույց տվող բառերի հետ, իսկ «to be» բայն էլ «were» ձևով է գործածվում բոլոր դեմքերի համար գրական անգլերենում: Հնարավոր է նաև «was» ձևը խոսակցական լեզվում:
Օրինակ՝ I want to give up smoking. Ձևափոխում ենք այսպես՝ I wish I gave up smoking.
Task 1. Երանի տվեք այս իրավիճակներում:
- I want to enter the UWC in Dilijan. – I wish I entered the UWC in Dilijan.
- I would like to have enough money to start a journey around the world. – I wish I had enough money to start a journey around the world.
- You can make so many delicious dishes. I can’t. – I wish I could make so many delicious dishes as you do.
- I can’t read Shakespeare in the original. – I wish I read Shakespeare in the original.
- I envy those who can speak several foreign languages. – I wish I could speak several foreign languages.
Our previous lesson was devoted to paraphrasing. Now we are going to express the same idea of a sentence by changing it grammatically.
Express the same idea with the given beginning.
1. They forbid us to smoke in public places.
Smoking is forbidden in public places.
2. After he had filled in the form, he handed it to the receptionist, at once.
On filling in the form, he handed it to the receptionist.
3. You can improve your pronunciation if you listen to original recordings.
Listening to original recordings can let you improve your pronunciation.
4. The book impressed me more than the film.
The book was more impressive to me than the movie.
5. Since we didn’t know his new address, we couldn’t visit him.
Not knowing his address we couldn’t visit him.
6. Being very tired he couldn’t continue working.
As he was tired, he couldn’t continue working.
7. She is not old enough to get married.
She is too young to get married.
8. He will only come to the meeting if he makes a final decision.
He won’t come to the meeting until he makes a final decision.
9. Can dogs get on the bus?
Are dogs allowed to get on the bus?
Think over the following sayings and give favourswn ideas:
Fortune favors the bold. – I think that the saying “fortune favors the bold” means that brave people achieve success.
Out of sight out of mind. – I think that the saying “out of sight out of mind” means that a person will forget about something or someone if he doesn’t see that / him for a period of time.
Never say never. – In my opinion “never say never” means that everything is possible.
God helps those who help themselves. – I think the saying “God helps those who help themselves” means that God will not make your stuff done if you don’t do anything.
Beggars can’t be choosers. – I think “beggars can’t be choosers” means that if there is only one option available in a situation we should not complain about it and stay grateful.
All that glitters is not gold. – I think the saying “all that glitters is not gold” means that if something looks attractive it doesn’t mean that it’s something good yet.
Actions speak louder than words. – I think this saying means that actions are more valuable than words, because everyone can speak, but not everyone will prove those words in actions.
Leave a Reply